History of the Eastern
The Eastern is located within what is the second oldest standing fire house station in Michigan, a building that was erected in 1888. Formerly home to Hook and Ladder House No. 5 and the Detroit Fire Department Repair Shop, both of which are inextricably associated with the development of Detroit’s professional fire department, the building of Hook and Ladder House No. 5 is now home to The Eastern and other local businesses.